A: May I leave a message?
我能否留个话?
B: You know what? My English is not that great, and I don’t want to miss anything. Would you mind calling back later? I’m sorry.
你知道吗? 我的英文不是非常好, 我不想听错话。你介意稍后再打来吗? 我很抱歉。
举一反三:
If you don’t mind, could you please call back and leave a message on the answering machine? My English is not very good.
如果你不介意的话, 能否请你再打一次, 然后在录音机上留言? 我的英文不是很好。
9.打电话的人要找的人是别人, 请对方稍等
A: Is Brandon there?
Brandon在吗?
B: Yes, he is. One moment, please.
他在。请稍等。
举一反三:
Hold on, please.
请稍等。
Let me see if he’s here. Hang on. O.K.?
我看看他在不在。等一下, 好吗?
10.对方打错电话
A: Can I speak to Alexander Walker?
我可以和Alexander Walker说话吗?
B: Alexander Walker? I’m sorry, but there’s nobody here by this name.
Alexander Walker?抱歉, 这里没这个人。
举一反三:
I’m sorry. I’m afraid you’ve got the wrong number.
抱歉, 恐怕你打错电话了。
What number did you dial?
你打几号?
11.跟对方要求跟(打电话的人)刚刚已经通过话的人再讲话
A: Can you put Daisy back on? I forgot to tell her something.
你能否请Daisy再来听电话呢? 我忘了跟她讲一件事。
B: Sure. I’ll go get her.
当然! 我这就去叫她。
12.电话没人接(或留言机)
A: Is he there?
他在吗?
B: No one is there.
没人在。
举一反三:
Nobody answered.
没人接。
No. I got the answering machine.
没有! 是留言机。
13.电话打不通
A: Did it go through?
(电话)打通了吗?
B: The line was busy.
电话忙线。
举一反三:
I got the busy signals.
电话忙线。
14.(因自己忙等原因)请别人去接电话
A: Paul, can you answer the phone? I’m busy.
Paul,你能不能去接电话? 我在忙。
B: Yes, dear.
是的, 亲爱的。
举一反三:
Can you get it, Paul? My hands are tied.
Paul,你能不能去接电话? 我现在不能接。
15.接到无人电话(就是打来了却不说话的那种)
A: Who called?
谁打来的?
B: No one. He hung up on me.
没人。他把电话挂了。
举一反三:
Wrong number, I guess. He hung up without saying a word.
打错了, 我想。他一句话也没说就把电话挂了。